Baby, it’s cold outside!! This chicken tomatillo soup is sure to warm you up! Many recipes of this nature call for blending the vegetables before adding the stock into the pot, but I prefer to dice the vegetables into small bits and leave this soup chunky. The fresh lime squeeze in your bowl just adds a freshness that reminds you its cold outside, but nice and toasty inside! See the end of the recipe for a vegetarian option!
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced thin
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small white onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound fresh, diced tomatillo (you can substitute canned tomatillos if necessary)
2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced, reserve 1 tbsp.
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (you can substitute fresh parsley here if you don’t like cilantro)
1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
1 large fresh lime, cut into 6 slices
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
flour tortilla chips – your favorite kind
Put it all together:
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle the chicken slices with a bit of salt and pepper and add to the preheated pan.
- Sauté chicken in the oil approximately, 3-5 minutes – it should be fully cooked and lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add in the onions and garlic to the saucepan.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until golden.
- Stir in the tomatillo, jalapeno peppers, cayenne pepper, Tabasco sauce and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover the pan, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Next, add the sliced chicken back into the pan. Heat for another 8 minutes or so, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into your favorite soup bowls, top with a squeeze of the lime wedge for each bowl.
- Next, top the soup with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle a bit of the fresh diced jalapeno pepper on it.
- Garnish each bowl with some fresh cilantro and a few tortilla chips.
Serves 6. J
NOTE: you can also make this with your favorite cut of pork too. Need a vegetarian version? Substitute vegetable stock, leave out the chicken! You can also add in some diced tomatoes too.
© MYODIY.com. All Rights Reserved.